IBAN Check Plus is an application which provides an opportunity to verify IBAN and BIC (SWIFT).
The app does verification of IBAN according to ISO 7064. The IBAN is validated by converting it into an integer and performing a basic mod-97 operation on it.
The algorithm of IBAN validation is as follows:
- Check that the total IBAN length is correct as per the country. If not, the IBAN is invalid.
- Move the four initial characters to the end of the string
- Replace each letter in the string with two digits, thereby expanding the string, where A = 10, B = 11, —, Z = 35
- Interpret the string as a decimal integer and compute the remainder of that number on division by 97
- If the remainder is 1, the check digit test is passed and the IBAN might be valid.
Example (fictitious United Kingdom bank, sort code 12-34-56, account number 98765432):
• IBAN: GB82 WEST 1234 5698 7654 32
• Rearrange: W E S T12345698765432 G B82
• Convert to integer: 3214282912345698765432161182
• Compute remainder: 3214282912345698765432161182 mod 97 = 1
BIC is an optional field. The length of BIC should be between 8 and 11 characters. If it is filled the application will check whether the BIC and the IBAN are for the same country.
Example (fictitious United Kingdom bank, BIC ABCDGB22 and IBAN GB82 WEST 1234 5698 7654 32
In this case the country will be both United Kingdom (GB) for BIC and IBAN)
Our app, supports IBAN and BIC validation on broad range of countries. Click on the help menu (?) to review the countries which IBAN Check Plus supports.
We regularly check the changes in financial regulations and update the IBAN data. In every moment you can check for updates of the current list of supported countries.